Friday, January 4, 2013

Memories of Summer, Hopes for Spring, and Snubbing Lady Winter

When I'm not hoping for snow and enjoying grey skies and hot cups of tea, I'm plotting what I'll plant in the spring and remembering happy summer days. I found myself yearning for some warm summer colors, so I sat down with my watercolors and had a bit of fun.

Photo: Me

Photo: Me


In general, summers where I live can be unbearably hot (not the 85 degree 'hot' that northerners imagine is unbearable; I mean 104 degrees fahrenheit or more), but there are perks to them; magnolia blossoms, star jasmine, honeysuckle, and gardenias scent the night air and cause me to feel intoxicated, to the point that I'm ready to vanish into the night in search of the fairies who must assuredly be responsible for the other-worldly vapors.

Photos: Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honeysuckle_.jpg , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Magnolia_flower_Duke_campus.jpg , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trachelospermum_jasminoides1215878198.jpg

There's also the rivers and lakes that I do so enjoy. Even if I don't feel like swimming, there are so many wonderful things to see and find; dragonfly nymphs, pretty stones, moss...

Photo: Me

So until I get a winter wonderland for at least several days in a row, I'm going to snub Lady Winter and plot my garden and dream of summer nights, since I'm not to have my fair share of snow.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh. I am trying faithfully to enjoy the winter and not to write to longingly of spring yet... but I will be posting something similar before long, no doubt. Even with snow, being stuck indoors without birds and flowers and plenty of sunshine, the wintry blues prowl around the house, seeking whom they may devour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... at least here, things are still somewhat green and I can go outside without a coat and not turn blue instantly. Since I can't have snow, I can at least still be outside.

      Delete
  2. I remember living in Tennessee and how amazingly uncomfy the summers were! I used to think if I got up at 6AM that I could beat the heat. No dice! I do miss the smell of magnolia trees and honeysuckle. There's really nothing in the north here that is comparable to those smells. Sigh.

    Lovely painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the magnolia trees and honeysuckle are my favorite parts of summer. Up north there are at least lilacs and roses; not quite the same, but still lovely. :D

      Delete